Schlitz, L.A. (2007). Good Masters! Sweet Ladies. Somerville: Candlewick Press.
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! gives us a glimpse into life in Medieval times. Each character tells his or her story of their life in poetry or prose. These characters are all children, from all levels of medieval society. They share the good and bad about their lives. For many, their lives are harsh. Even those in privilege are not always happy. The author also includes sections of non-fiction to help the reader further understand what each character is talking about. Topics include pilgrimages, the Crusades, falconry, and Judiasm.
This would be a wonderful book to use with Catherine, Called Birdy. The explanations it offers would support the reader as they go through Catherine.
I enjoyed this book, as I am very interested in this time period. I appreciated that the author didn't sugar coat anything. She depicts life as it really was at the time, including death and prejudice.
No comments:
Post a Comment