Monday, October 3, 2016

It's A Book



Image result for It's A book
Smith, L. (2010). It's a Book. New York: Roaring Brook Press.

What happens when someone who has only used a computer gets his hands on a book? He learns that it can't scroll, text, tweet, or have characters fighting. You don't need a screen name or a charger; you just need to read it.

This book delighted me. The illustrations show exactly how frustrated Monkey is becoming with Jackass as he asks ridiculous question after question. Children who have grown up with computers and are digital natives will understand Jackass.  I especially loved the slightly adult humor at the end. I enjoy when the book appeals not only to children, but adults as well. It makes a strong point about the use of digital devices in our society.

At the same time, there has been some controversy about the ending. The author's use of a character named Jackass can ruffle a few feathers. I believe that explaining to children  that  a jackass is indeed an animal would handle that situation. Parents may be harder to convince. 

No comments:

Post a Comment