A lot of this information was covered in my children's lit class last semester, so it made the reading more of a refresher than a learning experience. What was different was the awards. Most of the time, I buy my YA books when they are brand new. Usually it is part of a series or an author that I really like. But by going over the list of awards and recipients, I learned about several of my favorite authors who were award winners. I had no idea that Maggie Stiefvater had won the Printz award or that several of my graphic novels in my classroom were on the list of Great Graphic Novels. I just knew that my students would like them. In a way, it reassured me that I was selecting good books not only for myself, but for my students. I shared the Outstanding Books for the College Bound with my 16 year old. She had no idea that there were lists like this. She told me she just waits for a friend or someone online to recommend a book to her. ( Notice I didn't make the cut! My suggestions are stupid! Not like I'm studying this stuff or anything!)
Poetry, I think, is destroyed in middle and high school. Teachers pick it apart, looking for every bit of symbolism, each metaphor and simile, until nothing remains but a few words and an idea that the author probably didn't intend. Yes, kids need to know about imagery and figurative language, but they need to know the joy of words. Students hear the word "poetry" and immediately start to tune out. I think that if we could get away from analysis, and read poetry for what it was written for, our students would be much better off. But the TEKS are what they are, and we have to dissect.
But, off my soapbox. Poetry needs to contemporary, if possible. It should include imagery, rhyme, rhythm, and sound devices, and allow the students to interact with it.
Historical fiction - Here's what to consider.
- Does the book tell a good story that blends
history and story?
- Are the facts accurate?
- How are the values of the time brought to life?
- Is everything consistent with the historical
period?
- Does the theme relate to a contemporary
reader?
I think that as I look at YA books, I need to check to see if the book or the author has been recognized for an award. I also feel I can better assess historical fiction. I've included a link to my literary terms page.
No comments:
Post a Comment