Thursday, April 6, 2017

Textbook Reflection #1

We share literature with children for a variety of reason; 
  • for the fun
  • for language acquisition and development
  • empathy
  • to create lifelong readers
  • to have a vicarious experience
  • for a philosophical experience and that chance to really think
  • develop imagination 
  • experience other cultures
  • delight
  • aesthetic experience
The YA category, which includes fiction, nonfiction and all its sub-genres, is intended for ages 13-18, but enjoyed by many adults. I found the topic of middle school readers very interesting. They are at such an in-between place in life; not little kids but not teens. They are also at an in-between in their reading. Children's books are to easy and not as interesting, but YA books can be too mature. No wonder so many kids stop reading in the middle grades. Their choices are so limited. Plus as this is the age when they start moving from concrete to abstract thinking. This too would limit choices. 

YA has the following characteristics:
  • a youthful protagonist
  • an adolescent view of life
  • directness in the exposition
  • change in the life of the protagonist
  • highly independent protagonist
  • gradual, yet incomplete, growth of the character
  • contemporary issues
  • consequences for actions
  • draws on how adolescents develop
  • limited setting, few developed characters
As I looked at YA books in the past, I was often frustrated with character development. I wanted more from the author, but after reading this I see that this is part of the category. I still wish there were fewer flat characters. 

The most interesting part of the reading was the psychology. I haven't taken a child development class since the 80's so this was a great refresher. I am also eyeballs deep in raising two teenagers so it opened my eyes to a couple of things. Most importantly was the information from Havighurt. I was not familiar with him (her?) but found the list most enlightening.  I saw that most of his list could very easily be found in most pieces of YA literature, as well as in my house! 

So as I look at all the books I have read this semester, I will not only consider the genre, but why am I reading it and getting out of it. Was it a cultural experience like Persepolis?  Was it empathy like I felt in Speak? Was it a chance to imagine a new world like in The Knife of Never Letting Go? Also what is the character experiencing and how would a teen relate? I passed Annie on My Mind and Lily and Dunkin to my daughter as she has recently come out as gay. I thought a character struggling with her sexuality would give her something to relate to. (She hated Annie and loved Lily....). I'm going to try to think more like my teenagers (Lord help me!) and see the books the way they would and determine what would draw them to that book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment