I had a great time looking through the school YouTube videos, especially the BBMS Media videos. All the different music videos for overdue books were a riot. I also loved the "Dr. Katherine and the Book Hoarder".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFiuTt3_u98&t=80s
My family calls me a book hoarder all the time, so that just resonated with me. I love that the kids had the opportunity to be so creative. I'd love to do something like this my library. I think it would be great to create videos on checkout procedures, using the IPAC, using playaways, and behaviors and expectations in the makerspace. By using students, the videos would be much more engaging for the students.
In addition, the wide variety of screencast videos made using the databases and other resources in library easier for students to understand and use. I particularly liked the ones from The Unquiet Library and BBMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZnzMDkXjqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1o8Pubzqo
Channel Like Helpful
Calypso Gilstrap Freedom to Read Screencast of
EBSCOHost
Unquiet Library almost everything! Easybib videos
Pikesville HS didn't think this was as strong Course Advisement
a channel as the others
BBMS Media This channel is AMAZING Noodletools videos
Animoto
I had used Animoto in the past for student created book trailers and slide shows for family occassions like my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I've also used QR codes for a variety of activities. One of my favorites is a scavenger hunt. The QR code reveals a question. The students select and answer and that determines where they go next. If they select correctly, they will end up in one place and incorrectly, in another. I've also used QR codes for test reviews, stations, homework, and open house. I'd like to use them for accessing book trailers, like in this assignments. I'd also like to have a display with popular book covers with the title "If you liked this book, read this". QR codes would be on each cover with read alikes. I could also link screencasts of how to do searches or use databases to QR codes and post them near the computers. It would also be an easy way to link information for teachers.
Below is the QR code for my book trailer for The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe.

Mrs. Berdou,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had such a great experience with this unit! I also had a really good time watching all the videos on overdue books...they were cracking me up! Your ideas on how to use QR codes and Animoto really inspired me to try it with my classes. I struggled with using Animoto, but I really want to give it another try. Great post!
Courtney Walker
I was really impressed with the YouTube videos on those channels! It gave me a lot of ideas about how to use it as evidence of learning. I think the students would really enjoy it too because they are familiar with the format. Animoto was probably my favorite tool to use because I could imagine students using it fairly easily. The possibilities are endless.
ReplyDeleteI also loved the "overdue books" songs from that page. They were adorable and hilarious. I can see how that would reach kids in a fun way and get them to be aware of the importance of returning their books also.
ReplyDelete