Saturday, April 7, 2018

Cartoons and Comics!!!!!!

I may be old but I still love cartoons. I can't wait to have grandkids and watch cartoons with them. Well maybe I can wait.... I don't need my teenagers to be parents yet! But I digress. This topic made me so happy! I had a blast with this.



Mrs. B
First up, Toondoo! Toondoo was very easy to use to create the cartoon and publish it. I had to find a tutorial to figure out how to embed the cartoon and I hope I did it right. I did have a couple of concerns about some of the graphic available. There were some female characters in bikinis in sexy poses. I'm not sure I'd want that available if I were using this with middle school age boys. I can just see that going bad fast.



Pixton is much better in terms of choices. The people looks less little kid cartoony. It also had great features where you could change skin color, facial and body expressions, and backgrounds in each frame. I like this much better. And for those you who may not get my cartoon, my son, who has Asperger's,  is obsessed with ketchup. He puts it on everything and freaks out if we run out, so that is the inspiration.

https://www.makebeliefscomix.com/Comix/?comix_id=64455915C2439377

Make Believe Comix was also easy to use but was very limited in what I could do. I also didn't like that it wouldn't store the comic for me. In a pinch this would work but it really doesn't compare to Pixton! Pixton with its tutorial built in would be the easiest for older students to use. Toondoo would be better for younger students, as long as you limit which characters they use. No chicks in bikinis explaining the water cycle!

I think these cartoons would be great to use in a weekly/monthly newsletter to teachers to share what is new in the library or step by step how to do something new. I'd also like to present this to teachers so that they may use it with their students.

I tried to do the Tellagami but the app isn't compatible with IOS  11 which was a bummer. I've used Tellagami in my class when I taught 5th grade. My students loved it, especially that they could make the voice sound different. We did book reviews, main idea and detail, and summary videos. Occasionally, there was a crazy one from someone who had an iPad at a station and was off task. Those always made me laugh.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! I like your idea of sharing your comics with teachers in a monthly/weekly newsletter! What a fun way to make them more exciting! Your comics were great and I can 100% empathize with the first one about being too tired to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comics hahaha This was a really fun assignment. I love seeing how creative everyone was. MakeBeliefComix was a quick way to make a comic, but I was not a fan of not being able to save it and edit it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Your comic with the exhausted teacher is hilarious and SO TRUE! I love it! I totally agree with your concerns about the graphics available being possibly inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comics were really entertaining! Your Pixton comic strip reminded me of my mom! I think it is a great idea to do a parent/student newsletter this would make it fun to read especially for reluctant readers!

    ReplyDelete