Friday, April 13, 2018

Podcasts



So, let me start with I love doing podcasts. I've done several for classes, and if I though anyone would listen to me, I do more. Not sure if an almost 50 year old teacher with two teenagers would have a following though...

I looked at PodOmatic, Soundcloud, and Podbean. Podbean is what I've used before and was familiar with. I've always used Audacity to record, but this time I used the voice recorder on my lap top to see if it was better. I'm comfortable with Audacity, as it is what I've used to cut my daughter's music for dance competitions. The voice recorder was super simple to use as it has like 3 buttons. I prefer audacity for editing and adding music.

All three seemed very similar and were very easy to use. The only negative was that PodOmatic took forever to upload my mp4 file, where it was almost instant with the other two.

As a teacher, I see several uses. I use Words Their Way in my classroom, which means I have several spelling groups. I could record the spelling tests and the students could just listen. They could also stop and listen again to a word missed. That would free up a huge amount of time on Fridays. It would also make things easier when a student is absent. I could hand them the ipad and earphones and they could take the test they missed. For my lower readers I could record books to support their reading. I could give instructions for games in centers and link the podcast to a QR code posted in the center. I could record information for parents! I really see a lot of uses now. Don't know why I couldn't thing of a thing when I was recording!

In the library, I see this as a great way for students to do book reviews. I can also see this being used to share what is new in the library without having a meeting. A librarian could do a brief monthly update about the library, send the link to the teachers and they could listen while they grade or work in their rooms. A win for everyone! The same could go for parents!

Use these links for a list of some great podcasts for teachers.
https://www.edutopia.org/article/best-education-podcasts-2017
https://www.weareteachers.com/teacher-podcasts/
https://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/12-of-my-favorite-podcasts-for-teachers/
https://www.edutopia.org/blog/best-education-podcasts-betty-ray 

Make sure to check out this one from The Bedley Brothers with author Jennifer Holm!
https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/bedleybros/episodes/2017-09-02T09_39_13-07_00

Ooooooh!!!! These are good too!
http://www.readbrightly.com/press-play-8-best-kids-lit-podcasts-grown-ups/

3 comments:

  1. Hello Pamela,

    I absolutely loved your PodCasts, I recommend it be viewed by everyone. Your honesty is greatly appreciated, and I feel that you spoke candidly on how many of us are feeling right now. I understand you so much down to the part of taking your state exam because that was the story of my life this past week. I also enjoyed your explanations of how PodCasts can be used with students and the additional links to PodCasts for teachers. Exceptional work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pamela,

    You commented that you were not sure if a 50 year old teacher will have followers on a podcast, well I just became your follower! Some people follow a podcast to gain new knowledge on a certain topic and others just listen to relax and enjoy a good conversation. I enjoyed listening to your podcast because I immediately could relate to you, it was like having a conversation with a friend or coworker. So remember podcasts don't always have to be about information, whats important is to connect to your listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to having my students start recording book review podcasts! I think it's a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete