
Barnes, Derrick, (2017). Crown: An ode to the fresh cut. Chicago: Bolden.
Mr. Barnes writes in verse from the point of view of a young boy getting his hair cut at the barbershop. As his name is called and he heads for the chair, he talks about the importance of that perfect cut and looking good. He feels special and important as his hair is made perfect.
The first thing I thought of when I read this were the boys in my class. I teach at a predominately African American school. Most Mondays someone comes in with a new fade, braids, twists, or cut. It's my job to notice as I stand at the door saying good morning. And that moment when I say "Oh, ________ look at your hair!" I can see the same sense of worth that the author describes. They feel so good about themselves and my noticing made it even better. I love how the poet compares the cut to a crown, for hair is our crowning glory. I can see this book being used at the beginning of the year when we talk about self image along with our growth mindset lessons.
I appreciate the Coretta Scott King Award as the barber shop experience is one that most African American boys understand. For years it was the one place that Black men could gather, talk, and with that haircut, feel good about themselves in a world that often made them feel like nothing. This was an excellent choice for the honor!
No comments:
Post a Comment