This New York Times best seller is the sequel to Carve The Mark. On a divided planet the Shotet and Thuvhe have struggled to coexist. Akos was kidnapped from Thuvhe and brought to the Shotet city of Voa to serve the Noaveks, the ruling family. Cyra, is the sister of the Shotet ruler. Everyone on this planet have what is called a current gift that gives them special powers. Cyra gives pain to any who she touches. Akos blocks anyone's current gift. Akos and Cyra are also fated, which means that the oracles have seen their futures. Akos is to die in service to the Noaveks. Cyra is fated to cross the divide that separated their two countries. The two have aligned to rid Shotet of Cyra's brother's tyranny and in the process, have fallen in love.
When this book begins, Cyra and Akos have escaped Shotet and are heading to the Assembly headquarters. When Isae kills Cyra's brother, they head the exile planet of Ogra to plot to kill Cyra's brother and stop the imp ending war with Thuvhe. They are summoned to the oracle of Ogra who informs them that they were switched as babies to help control their fates and futures. As they struggle with this information, they separate and without telling the other, they both return to Shotet. Akos is imprisoned by his biological father, Lazmet. Cyra infiltrates the city with the help of the resistance. Ultimately, Lazmet is killed and Cyra saves the city from a Thuvhe attack.
I read the first book in April and immediately pre-ordered this book. I was very wary of reading another book by Veronica Roth after the whole Allegiance nightmare. As I started the first book and read the line about Akos's fate I thought at least I know he is going to die, rather than being slapped in the face with it in the end. I love this idea of combining science fiction with the power of the current and oracles. The twist that she threw in of the two being switched at birth to protect them was interesting but it just wasn't developed enough. The book would have been almost the same without it. The ending was a bit rough; I found myself wanting more that what she wrote and that left me unsatisfied. It was a good read and I've already promised it to one of my son's friends but it's not one I'll reread.
No comments:
Post a Comment