Saturday, July 21, 2018

Another NYT Best Seller

Refugee
Grantz, Alan. (2017). Refugee. New York: Scholastic.

Three children in three different time lines. Josef's family is fleeing Nazi Germany, Isabel is leaving communist Cuba, and Mahmoud is escaping the war in Syria. As each family tries to escape the horrors of their homeland they encounter all sorts of issues. Josef''s boat is refused entrance to Cuba and the United States and is forced to return to Germany where he faces certain death in a camp. Isabel's homemade boat is in constant danger of sinking due to the weight in the boat. Mahmoud's family loses the car and is forced to walk to Turkey and is then at the mercy of smugglers who will get them a boat to Greece "tomorrow". Not every story has a happy ending, but a link between all three children is shared.

This book was amazing! Grantz writes each story with a realness that draws you in. No child should face what these children faced, yet today there are thousands of Syrian refugee children who have lost everything and just want a place to be safe. I could get political here but I'll refrain. But I will say that we have a moral obligation to help others in need. Perhaps through sharing this book we can change peoples minds about the refugee crisis in the world. While this is on the Bluebonnet list, I would encourage my middle school teachers to use this book in class and spark a discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment