Friday, July 20, 2018

Schneider Family Award

Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
Green, Shari. (2017).  Macy McMillan and the rainbow goddess. Ontario: Pajama Press, Inc.

Told in verse, this is Macy's story. Her mother is marrying and she is not happy about it. She also is being made to help her elderly neighbor pack her home in preparation for her move to an assisted living facility. Macy learned from Isis, the neighbor named for the Greek rainbow goddess, that cookies reflect your feelings for others, books are a joy, and that we all have a story to tell. Macy also learns that maybe the guy her mother is marrying isn't as bad as she thought.

As I look back at the summary, I realize I left out something important - Macy is deaf. But as I read this book, her deafness became secondary to the story. It was about her learning from Isis, accepting Alan, and learning that a family is more than who you are related to. Yes, she is deaf but that doesn't define her and to me that is key.

Another personal note: when I finished the book I read the acknowledgements in the back. One of the people Shari Green thanked for support during the writing process was Kip Wilson Richea. Well, I about fell off my bed. Kip and I went to high school together and still keep in touch via Facebook! I dashed off a message to Kip about the book and was excited to learn that Kip will be working with Kwame Alexander in a writer's group he has started. This was so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment