Harris, R. (1999). It's So Amazing. Boston: Candlewick.
It's So Amazing is an honest and factual way to teach children about sex and reproduction. Narrated by a bird and a bee, it covers body parts, correct terminology, sex, love, how babies grow in utero, and birth. It uses cartoon-like illustrations to make the book more appealing to children, but in no way is condescending. It presents the facts in a way that a child can understand.
This book has been contested due to its content. I was surprised to find it in the adult nonfiction area of my public library, rather than in the children's section. I knew there had been controversy about the content, but had no idea it was moved away from the children's section. Perhaps I'm a more open parent than some, but I see no issue with this book. I would share it with my child, so that I could answer any questions. But the material presented is correct and well written. I see no reason to "hide" it from children.
No comments:
Post a Comment