Saturday, November 26, 2016

We Are The Ship

Image result for We are the ShipNelson, K. (2008). We are the Ship. New York: Hyperion.

This book tells the story(in nine innings or chapters) of the Negro Baseball League. Told in first person by an anonymous Negro League player, we learn of the history and the struggles of the Negro Baseball League. Many of these men played several games a day, in poor conditions. Due to segregation, they often slept in the bus or car they were travelling in. Restaurants refused them service. But the games were action packed and they drew crowds. Famous players stories are shared and we learn about how baseball became integrated. With Jackie Robinson's move to the majors, the Negro Baseball League slowly dissolved.

I like that this is literary nonfiction. It made a topic that may not be interesting to all, much more approachable.  I enjoy baseball, but it is not something that I'd chose to read about. The narrator made this much easier to read.

As for my students, I have several die hard baseball fans who would enjoy this. I usually share books about Jackie Robinson in coordination with a writing contest based on his life. I may bring this book in also to add more information and be another resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment