Martina is finally 21 days old, and as the most beautiful cockroach in Havana, it is time for her to select a husband. Her Cuban grandmother tells her of the coffee test; she is to spill a little coffee on each suitor's shoes to see how he reacts. First the rooster, then the pig, and the lizard all yell at her when she spills. It is finally when she meets Perez, the mouse, and he spills coffee on her shoes that she realizes that she has found the one for her.
I love that the main character of this book is a cockroach, and a beautiful one at that. Denying social conventions of beautiful is wonderful for little girls to be exposed to. I also appreciate that this is a Cuban folk tale. When we teach folktales, we tend to use European, Chinese, and African stories. I think we need to broaden our scope and include stories from as many places as we can. I used this book in my class when it was a Bluebonnet book several years ago. My students enjoyed it but, like when you read Skippyjon Jones, you end up reading it with an accent unintentionally. No matter how I try, I cannot read it without a horribly fake Spanish accent. It just creeps up on you as you read! I worry that someday I will offend someone!
No comments:
Post a Comment